Five agronomy tips for Scottish growers to consider in August
Winter barley harvest started in mid-July in Scotland, which is earlier than I can ever recall. At the time of writing, it’s a little too early to talk about yields, although crops in the area are looking OK, except very short. The lack of straw might prove problematic for livestock farmers.
Grant's agronomy tips for August
1. Consider creating a stale seedbed before planting oilseed rape and wheat
2. Aim to get oilseed rape drilled by the end of August
3. Consider a cover crop on land destined for spring cropping
4. Keep on top of blight and plan potato crop destruction
5. Get farm-saved seeds tested before making decisions on seed treatments